Sunday, December 20, 2015

Nostalgia At Its Finest

I remember the first school talent show I was in.
Third grade.
Colten Simper told me I was the best one.

I remember Colten Simper. 
I remember he would chase me at recess and I would throw my shoes at him.

I remember the mornings when I was little, me and my sister would sit on the floor between the fridge and the pantry, and we would tell each other about the dreams we had that night. 

I also remember the day she got send to rehab. 
I don't remember the day she came back. 

I remember my first kiss and my first train ride and I remember the first time I saw my mom cry while she was giving me a talk about being nice to the other kids.

I remember laying in the snow for what felt like hours, watching the snow come down on me. 

I remember I was 7 when I flashed the neighborhood boys because they wouldn't get off my playset. 

I remember my aunts reading me Shel Silverstein on Christmas Eve. 

I remember crashing into a boulder on my bike.

I remember the school field trips when even the parent chaperones teased me. 

I remember my first time to the zoo.
I went with my dad and my second grade class  and he taught me how to play the alphabet game. 

I remember going to the zoo at 16 and still thinking it's amazing.

I remember the first time I cried at school was 7th grade when Garrison told me I was fat. 

I remember people being surprised when I tell them I'm not in college, I remember people being surprised when I tell them I'm not in 6th grade. 

I remember my first cheer competition and my first house and my first best friend. 

I remember back yard water fights and front porch fire works. 

I remember cuddling on the couch with my mom every morning. 

I remember forgetting to get off the bus in second grade and crying when I realized I missed my stop.
I remember the bus driver was really nice and he took me back home.

And I still remember thinking that my skin was all that I was worth.
And I still remember realizing I'm more than that.

   I remember,  
     I remember,
       I remember. 
      
          I'm scared I'll forget. 








3 comments:

  1. And I still remember thinking that my skin was all that I was worth.
    And I still remember realizing I'm more than that.
    Snapping so hard right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh this is soooo good! A perfect mixture of bitter and sweet.
    Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^Yes I love the mixture of bitter and sweet. This one has feeling to it, a lot of feeling.

    ReplyDelete